If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I knew next to nothing about Mexican desserts, besides fried ice cream, until I discovered these Mexican Strawberry Cheesecake Chimichangas. Let me tell you, my cheesecake addiction just got greater by a notch. Those fried burritos are perfect for Cinco de Mayo and when you need a quick, inexpensive dessert. Maybe it’s not the healthiest dessert, but what dessert truly is? —All that's Jas
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup sliced or chopped strawberries plus more for garnish
- 6 8-inch (medium) soft flour tortillas
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- chocolate syrup and/or whopped cream (optional)
- In a medium bowl beat together the cream cheese, sour cream, 2 tablespoon sugar, vanilla extract and lemon zest, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Fold in the sliced strawberries.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the tortillas, spreading portions in the lower third of each tortilla. Note: You could easily use 8 tortillas. I thought there was a bit much filling per chimichanga. Next, fold the two sides of each tortilla toward the center and then roll the tortilla up like a burrito. Secure it with a toothpick. Repeat the rolling process with the remaining tortillas.
- Combine the remaining 1/3 cup sugar with the cinnamon in a shallow dish and set it aside. Line a large plate with paper towels.
- In a large, deep skillet or saucepan add about 3 inches of oil. Heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches if necessary, fry the chimichangas until golden brown and crispy, about 1-2 minutes, flipping them as needed. Be careful not to burn them (learned the hard way). Transfer the chimichangas to the paper towel-lined plate and drain shortly. Remove the toothpicks!
- While chimichangas are still warm, roll them into cinnamon sugar mixture. Repeat the frying and rolling process with the remaining chimichangas.
- Lastly, top each chimichanga with sliced strawberries, chocolate syrup, and whipped cream if desired. Serve immediately.
- ~ GET CREATIVE ~ Add a tablespoon of Nutella to each cheesecake chimichanga before rolling them up. Use blueberries or cherries from cherry pie filling instead of strawberries.