If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A different spin on pesto & sausage fortified with Chianti wine...it's the perfect pizza. —Katherine
Makes 2 pizzas
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 3/4 cups King Arthur flour
For the Pistachio Pesto & Chianti Sausage:
- 1 cup roasted pistachios
- 1/2 - 3/4 cups olive oil
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- pinches salt & pepper
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage
- 1 yellow onion
- 1/2 - 3/4 cups Chianti wine
- pinches salt & pepper
- fresh basil
- fresh Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese
- For the pizza dough: Combine the yeast, sugar, salt and olive oil in your mixing machine or mixing bowl. Add the 1 cup of warm water and stir gently. Let sit for 15 minutes while the yeast activates (it will begin to get foamy).
- Slowly mix in the flour until the dough ball comes together. You may need to add a bit more flour or a bit more water to make it come together. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and kneed until smooth.
- Place the dough ball in a large oiled bowl and cover with a kitchen towel. Let rise for an hour or until it has doubled in size. At this point, you can divide it in half and make 2 large pizzas or divide it in quarters and make 4 medium pizzas. You can also let it rise again after dividing it in half or quarters.
- For the Pistachio Pesto: Put 1 cup of pistachios in a food processor and slowly drizzle in 1/2 to 3/4 cup olive oil until it appears “pesto-like." Add the grated Parmesan cheese and pulse again to combine. Taste for salt & pepper and add a hefty pinch of both.
- For the Chianti Sausage: Sauté sausage and a chopped yellow onion together. Break up the sausage into small bits. When the sausage and onion are browned, add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup Chianti wine to the sausage and let it all reduce together on low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Assemble the pizza: Liberally spread pistachio pesto on dough and top with the spicy Chianti sausage. Add torn fresh basil and fresh Mozzarella or Parmesan cheese to the top. Cook at the highest temperature possible until browned. Drizzle finished pie with olive oil before eating.