If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These delicious little cakes are ideal for afternoon tea or dessert. You can try using different frozen berries such as raspberries or blackberries, and lemon or lime instead of orange would also be lovely. Serve them warm with Greek yoghurt or a dollop of mascarpone. —Jordan Rondel, The Caker
Makes 8 muffins or 12 cupcake
- 250 grams butter, softened
- 120 grams ground almonds
- 4 organic eggs
- 220 grams spelt flour (or plain flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 130 grams brown sugar
- 130 milliliters good quality maple syrup
- 1 large orange, zest and juice
- 150 grams frozen blueberries
- 50 grams almond flakes
- Preheat oven to 180C fan bake. Place greaseproof liners in 8 holes of a large muffin tin or 12 of a regular cupcake tin.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter until pale, light and fluffy. Add ground almonds and beat in eggs, one at a time. Gradually add flour and baking powder. Fold in vanilla, brown sugar, maple syrup, orange zest and juice, being careful not to over mix.
- Evenly divide batter between the muffin holes and dot a few blueberries on each, pressing down lightly with a spoon. Sprinkle each muffin with almond flakes.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden in colour, springy to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool in muffin tray for about 10 minutes before placing onto a rack.Store in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 3 days.