cup vegetable oil
In This Recipe
- Heat oil to frying temperature.
- Peel plantain: cut off the top and bottom; cut into the outside curve edge of the plantain, going as deep as the green exterior but being careful not to cut into the meat of the fruit; glide knife down the edge in a fluid motion; lift bottom edge of the skin of the plantain, and continue to lift the skin off of the plantain.
- Cut plantain into 1.5” chunks.
- Fry the plantain chunks until golden.
- Remove chunks from oil and place on paper towel.
- Smash the plantain chunks using the tostonera.
- Fry the smashed plantain until golden.