If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is one of my favorite dishes to make. It is humble in its simplicity while simultaneously luxurious given the melange of spices. Mostly savory with a whisper of sweetness. The ginger, cumin and turmeric provide warmth and earthiness. The garlic and chilies add a nice heat. The walnuts provide just the right amount of textural contrast. The subtle sweetness of the cinnamon rounds all elements of earth, fire and nuttiness together... and for the finale- the coolness of the mint and yogurt balance our the entire dish. It's a carnival for the taste buds!
Once upon a time, these spices were only available to royalty and the elite. They were a luxury for which wars were fought over and kingdoms were built or destroyed. Spices were used as currency in trade. These exotic flavors made their way from far away lands via the spice trade to the homes of nobility and were not nearly as accessible as they are to us today. These days all it takes is quick trip to the local supermarket to acquire the same riches.
That is why I entourage you to use spices. Many of us are afraid of using the ones we're not familiar with. This recipe is a great way to dip your toe in the water! A can of chickpeas from your pantry and a combination of these spices makes a satisfying yet super healthy dish. The cool mint yogurt will balance the heat of the spices and your kitchen will smell divine! —Basil and Roses
- 1 can chickpeas washed + drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, chopped
- 15 chopped walnut halves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (use more if you want a slightly more sweet flavor)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes (adjust to preference of heat)
- 3 teaspoons cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 handful chopped fresh mint
- For Chickpeas- Saute onion until transparent on medium heat
- Add chopped garlic and saute with onion for approximately 1 minute
- In the center of the pan add 1 teaspoon of oil and to oil add cumin, turmeric, red chili flakes, chili power, cinnamon
- Mix and cook over high heat for another 5-6 minutes
- Add chopped ginger
- Add chopped walnuts
- Salt + pepper and fresh mint to taste
- For Yogurt Sauce- Combine yogurt, salt, pepper, garlic power and mint.
- Serve on top of chickpeas