This grain free/vegan tart is so good it will fool anyone into thinking it's packed with butter and flour and all the bad stuff people think makes good food! —Isabel Carlisle Storolis
- Serves 6-8
Soft coconut oil
Stalk of rhubarb
Non GMO corn starch or substitue
Fresh lemon juice
In This Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Put all ingredients in food processor and pulse and mix on low until a ball forms.
- Prepare pan with moderate amount of coconut oil- be sure to get in all crevices.
- Place dough ball in-between two pieces of parchment paper and roll into an even layer.
- Carefully take top layer of parchment off and lay dough over tart pan. (Remove top piece of parchment paper)
- Gently make sure crust is even and pushed into crevices. (If crust falls apart simple press back together and mold into even layer in pan.)
- Poke a few hole in bottom of crust and bake for approx. 15 mins until crust is firmed up.
- While crust is cooking combine filling ingredients in a pot and stir to combine.
- Heat over medium heat allowing a low boil. (Filling should thicken after about 5-10 minutes)
- Remove from heat and poor into the prepared crust
- You can use a mandolin or cut thin strips from a whole stalk of rhubarb.
- Blanch strips in sugar water (about 2 cups of water to 1/4 cups of sugar.)
- After about 30 seconds of blanching the strips should be pliable.
- Remove from water and allow to cool enough to be handled.
- Lay strips horizontally, touching at the edges, across you tart.
- Starting from the middle tuck end of a strip under the top horizontal strip.
- Fold back every other horizontal strip and place vertical strip underneath.
- Lay horizontal strip back down. Do this to the whole pie.
- Trim edges if needed and tuck any that are sticking out around the edges into the pie filling
- Place pie in a 400F oven and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Let cool completely before cutting!