If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Spring inspired, and full of butter! Early spring rhubarb, lemon zest, nutmeg and earth buckwheat combine to make a real treat. Serve this fresh from the oven with plenty of coffee, or, freeze individually for quick scone action in the future! Adapted from a recipe here on Food52, as well as the Bojon Gourmet, with edits being the flour ratios, almond milk and spices/lemon zest. —Annaliese
Makes 8 scones
- 2 1/2 cups 1/4"-1/2" sliced rhubarb
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached, all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup milk (almond, cow, etc.), plus 1 TB for brushing tops
- 4 teaspoons demerara sugar
- Toss the rhubarb with 1 TB of the sugar and lemon zest, let sit while you get on with the recipe. Sift flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and nutmeg together.
- Cut butter in using pastry cutter, or, use your fingers. Butter chunks should be about the size of peas, with some a little larger and a little smaller. Using your hands at the very end to rub the butter between your fingers and thumbs to create sheets of butter is good too.
- Stir in the rhubarb, and then the almond milk ¼ cup at a time, drizzling over the dry flour bits. Mix briefly, but confidently, until no dry patches remain. Turn out onto a lightly floured board, gather the dough, pat into a 6” disc that is 1.5” high.
- Cut into 8 triangles, and place on a lined sheet tray. Freeze for 45 minutes (or, freeze all the way, wrap individually once firm, place in a bag or container and bake off as directed when desired).
- Preheat oven to 425F. When heated, take scones from freezer, brush with almond milk, and sprinkle with ½ tsp demerara sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and fragrant. Frozen scones may need a minute or two more. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes, then enjoy!