Author Notes: Tart and sweet, these scones are perfect for a lazy, Sunday summer brunch. —Jim Kennedy
cups AP flour
tablespoons cane sugar
tablespoon baking powder
teaspoon sea salt
tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
lemons, zested and juiced
cup powdered sugar
In This Recipe
- Macerate dried fruit in lemon juice for 2 hours. Reserve liquid. Pat fruit dry with a paper towel, let dry on baking sheet overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Whisk egg in small bowl, add to buttermilk. Add half the reserved lemon juice.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients including the zest of one lemon. Whisk to combine. Place contents in food processor.
- Remove butter from refrigerator, cut into 5 pieces, place in flour mixture. Process for 30 seconds. Pour mixture back into large mixing bowl.
- With tips of fingers, squeeze any remaining large pieces of butter.
- Add wet ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Turn out dough onto well floured board. Roll out to 1" thick. Trim ends to create large square/rectangle. Cut and subdivide into triangles. Place on baking sheet with parchment or Silpat. Brush with melted butter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until brown at the edges.
- Cool on baking sheet
- Add remaining lemon juice to 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Brush on top of scones. Optional: use the remaining lemon zest to top.