Author Notes: This is a family favorite that originated with our Aunt Shirley, more affectionately known as "Aunt Squirrely". At age 90, Aunt Squirrely is still baking her cake to everyone's complete delight. —Sharon Tama
Serves: 10 - 12
for the cake,, mix and set aside
apples, peeled and sliced thin
for the cake, beat the following until smooth
cup vegetable oil
cup orange juice
- Mix the apples, 5 T. sugar, and cinnamon and set aside.
- Beat the eggs, 2 c. sugar, 1 c. oil, orange juice, and vanilla until smooth.
- Combine the following and add to the wet ingredients a little at a time: 3 cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a greased 10" tube pan, add a layer of batter, then a layer of apple mixture, then a second layer of batter, then a second layer of apple mixture, ending with a top layer of batter.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes (check after 1 hour). Allow to cool. Remove from pan.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Apple Cake