If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A one-pot dish made with long grain basmati rice, chicken, fresh spices and herbs that is cooked over low heat for the most delectable flavors —Archana Deshmukh-Mundhe
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon ginger, paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic, paste
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 0.5 teaspoons turmeric
- 0.25 cups mint leaves
- 0.25 cups cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 0.75 cups plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 pounds whole bone in chicken, skinless cut into 12 pieces
- 3 cups Long grain Basmati rice
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 2 cups yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 6 boiled and shelled eggs, optional
- Make Marinade by mixing garam masala, ginger paste, garlic paste, red chili powder, turmeric, mint leaves, half of the chopped cilantro, lemon juice, yogurt and salt. Add chicken and coat evenly with the marinade. Keep in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinating, wash and soak the basmati rice in water. Keep aside for 20 mins.
- Turn Instant pot to Saute(Hi). After the ‘hot’ sign displays, add 2 tbsp of ghee and add thinly sliced onions. Cook stirring frequently for 15 mins or until the onions are golden brown and caramelized. Take out half of the onion and keep aside for garnishing the biryani.
- Add 1 tbsp of ghee to the IP with half of the caramelized onions already in the pot. For extra spicy Biryani add sliced jalapeno. Add bay leaves and marinated chicken. Mix well.
- Close Instant pot and turn pressure valve to sealing. Set Instant Pot to Manual mode for 4 mins. Follow with a quick release. Give the chicken a quick stir.
- Drain the rice and gently pour over the chicken. Add 2 tsp of salt. Add 3 cups of water. Close Instant pot and turn pressure valve to sealing. Set IP to Manual mode for 6 mins. Follow with a quick release.
- Gently fluff and mix the rice with the chicken on the bottom of the pan.
- Garnish with the remaining caramelized onions, saffron and cilantro.
- Serve with Raita (Onions and tomatoes mixed in yogurt), hard boiled egg and lemon wedges.