Author Notes: When you make your own pop-tarts at home, you can have any flavor you desire. Try these Cherry Apricot Hand Tarts for starters! —Paige
box prepared pie crust, two count
cup fresh Ranier cherries, pitted
sprinkles, if desired
In This Recipe
- In a small saucepan, stir together the cherries, apricots, sugar, lemon juice, and salt. Simmer for about 3-4 minutes, or until the fruit is bubbly. You may have to use a wooden spoon to break them up a bit.
- Lower the heat and whisk together the cornstarch and water. Stir the slurry into the fruit, stirring constantly, until it is a thick, jam-like consistency.
- Remove from the heat, transfer to a bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly brush the tops of the tarts with the egg wash. Use a fork to poke small holes in the top of the dough to allow steam to escape.
- Gather the scraps of dough and re-roll to cut more rectangles if necessary.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let it cool a little before glazing.
- Whisk all of the glaze ingredients together in a medium bowl until it reaches a spreading consistency. If the glaze seems too thick you can add another teaspoon or two of milk. Use a spoon to glaze each tart and top with sprinkles, if desired.