If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Tell us about your recipe. —Alannah | Kale Mary
Makes 9 large slices or 12 smaller slices
For the base
- 1 1/4 cups almond meal
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- Zest from 1 lemon
For the filling
- 2 2/3 cups filtered water
- 1 tablespoon agar agar powder
- 1/3 cup arrowroot flour/starch
- 5 medium-sized lemons, juiced
- Pinch turmeric
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Mix all the base ingredients together in a bowl until coconut oil is evenly mixed through. Spread out in a lined tin or dish and refrigerate until needed.
- Whisk arrowroot into lemon juice then add turmeric, maple and coconut milk and continue to whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Add the agar agar to the filtered water and gently heat, stirring until agar is dissolved. Once you have reached this point, add the lemon-arrowroot mix and whisk continuously over a medium heat. After about 8 minutes, it should start to hold together. If it doesn’t, keep it over the heat a little longer.
- Pour the lemon mix on top of the base and return the dish to the refrigerator for 1-2 hours until set. When set, slice and plate. Serve on its own or with a scoop of vanilla or coconut-flavoured ice cream.