If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Triples are among the most ubiquitous snacks on the streets of Lima, and a mainstay at lonche, the mid-afternoon coffee and tea break. They are also favorite hors d’oeuvres at parties, where they are cut into dainty triangles or squares.
Because of this sandwich’s simplicity, it is important to thoughtfully procure and prepare each component. Use ripe, good quality avocados and tomatoes for this recipe, and be careful not to overcook the eggs.
Any square or Pullman loaf of white sandwich bread will work for this.
Many Peruvians regularly make homemade mayonnaise similar to the recipe below. Peruvian-style mayonnaise gets its distinctive flavor from fresh garlic and lime juice, and it is typically not as sweet as American varieties. The recipe makes more than is required for the triples. In a pinch, you can use any commercially made mayonnaise, but avoid using sweet salad dressings like Miracle Whip. —Carlos C Olaechea
Makes 4 sandwiches; 1 cup of mayo
For Peruvian-Style Mayonnaise
large clove of garlic
tablespoons lime juice (juice of about one lime)
teaspoon mustard powder
teaspoon white sugar
pinch of white pepper
cup vegetable oil
- Place the clove of garlic in a small bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds, until softened. Finely mince the garlic and place it into a food processor or blender.
- Crack the egg and add it to the food processor or blender, along with the lime juice, mustard powder, salt, sugar, and white pepper. Pulse a few times to combine the ingredients.
- Now, with the food processor or blender running, slowly pour in the oil in a thin stream. You will gradually see the contents thickening. Do not stop until you have used up all of the oil.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape the mayonnaise into a container and tightly cover. Place in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes before using. It can be stored for up to a week in the refrigerator.
Triples de Palta
Hass avocado (approximately 5 oz.)
large plum tomato (approximately 5 oz.)
square slices of white sandwich bread (approximately 1/3” thick)
- Boil the eggs in the style you like, if you haven't already. I like this method: Place the eggs into a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Fill the saucepan with enough cold water to cover the eggs. Cover the saucepan and place on the stove over high heat until the water boils, approximately 7 minutes. Immediately remove the saucepan from the heat and let rest, covered, for 15 minutes. While the eggs are resting, fill a medium sized bowl with ice and water to create an ice bath. When eggs have cooled, peel them and place them back into the ice bath. Set aside until ready to use.
- Peel, pit and cut the avocado into 1/8-inch slices. Set aside. Cut the tomato into 1/8-inch slices and set aside. Do the same with the hardboiled eggs.
- Place one slice of bread on a clean, dry work surface and spread 1 teaspoon of mayonnaise on the side facing up. Arrange a single layer of sliced hard-boiled eggs on top of the mayonnaise, making sure that the eggs go beyond the crusts just a little. Now, spread 1 teaspoon of mayonnaise on one side of a separate slice of bread and place on top of the eggs, mayonnaise side down. You should now have an egg sandwich.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of mayonnaise on top of the egg sandwich and arrange a single layer of tomato slices on top of it, again making sure they extend slightly past the crusts. Spread a teaspoon of mayonnaise on one side of another slice of bread, and place this slice on top the tomato, mayonnaise side down. You now have an egg and tomato sandwich.
- Finally, spread 1 teaspoon of mayonnaise on top of the egg and tomato sandwich and arrange a layer of sliced avocado on top of the mayonnaise, ensuring that it extends slightly beyond the crusts. Take a final slice of bread, spread 1 teaspoon of mayonnaise on one side of it, and place it on top of the avocado, mayonnaise side down. You should now have 3 distinct layers using 4 slices of bread, with a layer of mayonnaise between each filling and each slice of bread.
- Now, using a serrated knife, carefully slice off the crusts using very gentle pressure and a sawing motion. Once the crusts are removed, gently cut the sandwich in half diagonally using a sawing motion. Repeat steps 7-10 using the remaining ingredients.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
More Great Recipes: