Author Notes: If the streusel is your favorite part of a bite of coffee cake, you're in luck. This recipe goes heavy on the streusel, both in the topping and a ribbon throughout the center. —Posie (Harwood) Brien
Makes: one 9" x 13" cake
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 55 min
For the streusel
cup (142 grams) packed brown sugar
cups (160 grams) all-purpose flour
teaspoons ground cinnamon
tablespoons (113 grams) cold butter, in chunks
For the cake
cups (300 grams) all-purpose flour
teaspoon baking soda
teaspoons baking powder
teaspoons vanilla extract
tablespoons (170 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
cups (285 grams) Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
cups granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9" x 13" cake pan.
- To make the streusel: Whisk together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Cut in the butter until sandy and crumbly. Set aside.
- To make the cake: Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the vanilla, then the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl between each.
- Add the flour mixture and the Greek yogurt, alternating between each. Mix just until the batter comes together.
- Spread half of the batter into your prepared pan. Take 1/3 of the streusel mixture (or up to 1/2 of it if you want more filling) and sprinkle it evenly over the batter. Pour the remaining batter over the top, spread evenly, and top with the remaining streusel.
- Bake for about 55 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!