If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sea Salt, Nashville’s newest farm-to-table concept restaurant, is serving up new concepts on their summer menu, including the Croque Madame sandwich. This dame is so beautiful that she is in the running for the Best Sandwich in America contest, hosted by Restaurant Hospitality magazine. We can’t keep it to ourselves, so we want to share the recipe with you. —Drew Henry
pieces sourdough bread
pieces smoked ham
pieces swiss cheese
cup heavy cream
cup shredded Swiss, Comté , or Comté
teaspoon ground nutmeg
teaspoon ground black pepper
teaspoon kosher salt
- Béchamel Sauce Bring cream to a boil in a small sauce pan, whisk in black pepper, salt and nutmeg. While boiling whisk in half of the shredded cheese and bring to a simmer to fully melt all the cheese into the béchamel.
- Assemble the sandwich with ham and Swiss inside of bread. Butter each side generously and cook on a griddle until both pieces of bread are golden brown.
- Transfer to an oven-safe baking tray and top with remaining shredded cheese and béchamel. Bake until cheese and béchamel are melting off the top piece of bread and dripping down into the baking tray.
- While the sandwich is in the oven cook a over-easy egg with a little bit of cracked black pepper on it. The yolk ABSOLUTELY needs to be over easy.
- To plate, leave sandwich uncut and top with the over-easy egg. Serve with a light arugula salad topped with cherry tomatoes and radishes.