If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a recipe you should memorise because it's so simple and easy to adapt. You might recognise a few of my variations. These little citrus cakes are gluten free when made with buckwheat flour, but you could use spelt or regular flour. The orange blossom and honey syrup add a beautiful floral element. —Jordan Rondel, The Caker
For the friands
- 200 grams butter, softened
- 200 grams caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 organic eggs
- 200 grams ground almonds
- 50 grams buckwheat flour
- zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- zest and juice of 1 large lime
- 12 cubes Turkish delight, cut into quarters (for topping)
- freshly grated lime and/or lemon zest (for topping)
For the orange blossom syrup
- 3 tablespoons orange blossom water
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 175C fan bake. Grease 12 holes of a friand or regular cupcake tray. It pays to line the base of each with an oval of baking paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until pale, light and fluffy. Add vanilla and then eggs, one at a time, beating between each. Add ground almonds and flour until combined. Fold through the citrus zest and juice. Stop electric mixer once all ingredients are combined. Do not over mix.
- Divide batter between friand holes. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden in colour, springy to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool for around 10 minutes before turning onto a rack.
- Meanwhile, make the orange blossom syrup. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and heat for 20 minutes until mixture has thickened and reduced. Once cakes are cool, spoon some syrup onto each.
- Top with cubes of Turkish Delight. Serve immediately with Greek yoghurt or mascarpone. Store in a cool, dry place in an airtight container for up to 3 days.