If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is the perfect way to mix things up at your next afternoon tea or celebration.
These beautiful little cakes are a fantastic option to give a touch more interest and sophistication to your average vanilla cupcake.
The fresh lemon zest brings out the subtle floral and fruity notes in the champagne in the cake, and they are simply perfect with a wee glass on the side as well! —Jordan Rondel, The Caker
Makes 8 large cupcakes
For the cake...
grams butter, softened
grams caster sugar
teaspoon vanilla extract
grams ground almonds
cup pink champagne or prosecco
zest of one lemon
For the icing
grams butter, softened
cups icing sugar, sifted
tablespoons pink champagne or prosecco (at room temp)
finely grated zest of half a lemon
OPTIONAL: Spray roses (to decorate)
- Preheat oven to 180C fan bake. Place greaseproof liners into 8 holes of a large muffin tray. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until pale, light and fluffy. Add vanilla and then egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Refrigerate yolks to use another time.
- Combine flour, ground almonds and baking powder. Add half into the mixture, stir until just mixed, then repeat with second half. Next, add the pink champagne/prosecco and lemon zest. Stop your electric mixer once all the ingredients are combined, be careful not to over mix.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin holes. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until golden in colour and springy to the touch. Allow the cakes to cool for around 10 minutes before turning onto a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, make the icing: in the bowl of an electric mixer beat butter and icing sugar until smooth, pale and fluffy. Gradually add in the pink champagne/prosecco, vanilla and lemon zest and continue beating until smooth and creamy.
- Once the mini cakes are cool, use a piping bag to pipe some icing onto each one in a swirling motion. Decorate with fresh spray roses and serve with a glass of pink champagne, of course!
- Store mini cakes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.