If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
- 3 tablespoons pureed chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 racks of Smithfield Extra Tender Fresh Pork Back Ribs (membrane removed if desired)
- 1 handful hickory or applewood chips for smoking, soaked in water and drained (optional)
- apple juice in spray bottle
- 1 14.5-oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- About one hour before smoking, make the dry rub. Combine all ingredients in small bowl; mix well. Pat ribs dry with paper towels; generously coat both sides of ribs with rub. Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Heat charcoal grill for indirect cooking at 250°F to 275°F. Add drained wood chips, if using.
- Place the ribs, meaty side down, over a drip pan and cook for 2 hours spraying both sides of ribs with apple juice every 30 minutes. Add about 12 coals to the grill every 45 minutes or so to maintain the heat.
- Meanwhile, make Roasted Tomato, Honey, and Chipotle Glaze. Sauté tomatoes, onion and garlic in olive oil over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Stir in tomato paste; cook 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients; cook 15 minutes until onions are tender; let cool. Carefully pour glaze into blender and pulse until smooth. Add water to thin if needed.
- Remove ribs from grill; brush both sides of ribs with glaze. Double-wrap each rack in heavy-duty aluminum foil. Return wrapped ribs to the grill and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours more over indirect heat, until very tender. Add more coals as needed to maintain temperature for a charcoal grill.
- Remove ribs from grill and unwrap. Place ribs over indirect heat on grill and brush with more glaze. Cook for about 5 minutes until the glaze is set. Turn ribs and repeat with more glaze.