Author Notes: Sea scallops, saffron, creme fraiche, and zucchini – a fabulous combo! This gratin is quick, tasty, and wildly versatile. —Kelly Lenihan
cup crème fraîche
pinch saffron threads
In This Recipe
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Arrange scallops in a small greased baking dish. Combine creme fraiche, saffron threads, zest and sea salt in small bowl. Toss with sea scallops. Sprinkle a layer of hazelnut meal (or breadcrumbs, Panko, pistachio, or Parmesan) over scallops.
- Bake 4-5 minutes. Then adjust heat to broil and leave dish under the broiler for 1-2 minutes until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, wash and peel zucchini and discard the outer skin. Using a spiralizer or julienne peeler (or continue using a regular swivel peeler), peel lengthwise strips until reaching the seedy cores. Arrange zucchini “noodles” on two serving plates.
- Arrange scallops over zucchini and serve immediately.
- TIP: In case you are wondering why I introduced this dish as “versatile” – well – skip the saffron and use basil, parsley, curry, or cinnamon – just about any spice or herb you wish – and you’ll create a fabulous dish! What treasure does your spice cabinet hold that will elevate this dish?
- This recipe was inspired by a recipe on All Recipes. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/241739/scallop-gratin/