If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sea scallops, saffron, creme fraiche, and zucchini – a fabulous combo! This gratin is quick, tasty, and wildly versatile. —Kelly Lenihan
cup crème fraîche
pinch saffron threads
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Arrange scallops in a small greased baking dish. Combine creme fraiche, saffron threads, zest and sea salt in small bowl. Toss with sea scallops. Sprinkle a layer of hazelnut meal (or breadcrumbs, Panko, pistachio, or Parmesan) over scallops.
- Bake 4-5 minutes. Then adjust heat to broil and leave dish under the broiler for 1-2 minutes until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, wash and peel zucchini and discard the outer skin. Using a spiralizer or julienne peeler (or continue using a regular swivel peeler), peel lengthwise strips until reaching the seedy cores. Arrange zucchini “noodles” on two serving plates.
- Arrange scallops over zucchini and serve immediately.
- TIP: In case you are wondering why I introduced this dish as “versatile” – well – skip the saffron and use basil, parsley, curry, or cinnamon – just about any spice or herb you wish – and you’ll create a fabulous dish! What treasure does your spice cabinet hold that will elevate this dish?
- This recipe was inspired by a recipe on All Recipes. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/241739/scallop-gratin/