If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A staple family recipe with a deliciously sweet topping. I grew up eating these either smothered with butter and honey or broken up into beef stew. They're quick to pull together, and always so tasty. It's a challenge not to eat them all at once! —Lemon & Biscuits
Baking Powder Biscuits
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 shot salt
- 6 tablespoons Crisco
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 3/4 cup cold milk
- Combine the dry ingredients.
- Using a pastry cutter or two butter knives, cut the Crisco and butter into the dry ingredients until it's the consistency of coarse corn meal. Work quickly, so the butter stays cold.
- Place the dough on a floured cutting board, roll out to 1/2" thick, and cut with a biscuit cutter or glass.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet, and bake at 450 degrees for about 12 minutes. Tip: placing the biscuits close together will help them rise taller.
Vanilla Bean Rum Butter
- 8 ounces softened butter (I prefer salted)
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/4 teaspoon dark rum (like Myers's or Goslings)
- teaspoons honey, to taste, optional
- Split open the vanilla bean, and scrape all the delicious seeds into a bowl.
- Add the softened butter and mix thoroughly.
- Add the rum, half at a time, and taste it! It might be a strong enough flavor for you after 1/8t.
- If you want it sweeter, and a touch of honey at a time until you're happy.