If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My Mennonite mother's chocolate chip cookie recipe. Tested and perfected with hundreds of batches made for her hungry kids and their friends.
So simple to whip together in 30 minutes! If you play your cards right, you only dirty one mixing bowl, 1 half cup measure, and 1 teaspoon in the preparation. I am able to fit this entire recipe into the oven at once using 2 extra large cookie sheets. —Tim Yoder
Ingredients to cream
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Shortening
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups Quick Oats
- 12 ounces Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add all of the ingredients to cream and beat until smooth. A few tiny lumps of shortening are alright.
- Stir in flour and beat until smooth.
- Stir in quick oats and semi-sweet chocolate chips. Stir until both are incorporated.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop the cookie dough into balls on the cookie sheet. Press each ball down with your fingers so that they are slightly smushed.
- Bake for 13 minutes at 350 degrees. Make sure you don't let them brown too much on the edges. I am typically able to bake two cookie sheets at once. You may need to leave the top or bottom cookie sheet in 1 minute longer depending on where the heat is coming from in your oven.