If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is what happened when I met my first blood orange. I'm going to use this whipped butter as a spread and also to flavor some roasted veggies or chicken. This would look great on the table at Thanksgiving or brunch. You can add a tsp honey if it feels too tart for your taste —SEB Market BK
Makes 8 ozs
- 1 blood orange
- 1 lemon
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon dried spearmint
- 1 teaspoon basil
- Cut up a stick of butter and put the pieces into a microwave safe glass measuring cup. Microwave for 30 seconds (if you're more comfortable doing it on the stove, melt butter in a small saucepan). Add basil and spearmint and stir.
- Cut blood orange and lemon in half, and carefully slice a thin round from one half of the blood orange to use as a garnish. Juice using one container. Scrape the peels and add the orange and lemon zest to the juice.
- Combine the two tablespoons of the zest and juice with the herbed butter then refrigerate for about one hour. When the butter hardens, use an immersion blender to whip the ingredients together.
- Transfer the butter to a glass or plastic dish, smoothing it so that the surface is flat. Place the slice (or half slice) of blood orange on to of the butter and press it in lightly. Keep refrigerated.