If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Eggless chocolate mousse cake —Oh Sweet Day!
Makes 6 mini cakes
- CHOCOLATE CAKE
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream, room temp
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
- 200 grams dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup espresso
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 50 grams dark chocolate, cut into small chunks
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chocolate shavings or sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 12 x 17 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Spoon in the sour cream, and pour in the oil and the vanilla. Mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Pour in the boiling water, and slowly mix until smooth and liquidy.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Spread the batter evenly. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until springy to touch.
- Let cakes cool completely.
- Use a 2-inch cookie cutter to cut out cake circles and place them on the bottoms of a mini cheesecake pan with removable bottoms.
- To prepare mousse, make a double boiler and bring the water to a soft simmer. Put the chocolate, butter, espresso and sugar in a heat resistant bowl and leave to melt.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Whip the heavy cream until it becomes stiff. Reserve one cup of whipped cream for topping. Add the remaining cream to the chocolate mixture and fold with a spatula until it becomes one liquid.
- Pour the chocolate mixture evenly into the mini cake pan. Juggle to lightly level the top.
- Keep in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
- To prepare ganache, melt chocolate and heavy cream in microwave on high in 20-second interval, stirring in between, until it’s completely melted and smooth. Let cool slightly.
- Gently push mini cakes up from the bottoms to remove from pan. Place the cakes on serving plate(s).
- Pour ganache over the top of the cakes.
- Pipe the reserved whipped cream on top, and garnish with chocolate shavings or sprinkles.