If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The secret to turning this tortellini dish into an epic breakfast is to reheat it in a skillet with a little olive oil or butter and allow it brown ever so slightly. —Elettra Wiedemann
Serves 4, or 2 with leftovers
Tortellini with Sausage and Green Beans
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can of peeled tomatoes, preferably San Marzano
- 2 cups green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Italian sausages, casings removed
- 1 13-ounce package of cheese tortellini
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup basil, roughly chopped
- Parmigiano-Reggiano, to taste
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in the garlic and onion and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add in the canned tomatoes with their liquid and a generous pinch of salt and allow the sauce to come to a boil. Then lower heat and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes.
- In another skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat and sauté the green beans, stirring frequently, until they are slightly softened but not browned, about 8 minutes. Add in the sausage meat and use a spoon to break up the mean into small pieces. Cook until the sausage is golden brown, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Bring a pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add the tortellini and cook according to package instructions. Once the tortellini are cooked, drain them and add them to the skillet with the tomato sauce. Add in the sausage and green beans and the yogurt. Stir gently until the tortellini is evenly coated and the yogurt mixed in completely.
- Serve in bowls topped with basil garnish and Parmigiano-Reggiano to taste.
Tortellini with Pancakes and Eggs
- + Leftover portion of Tortellini with Sausage and Green Beans (use your discretion on how many this can feed)
- + Fried egg (1 per serving)
- + Pancake with butter (1 per serving)
- Reheat whatever you have left of the Tortellini with Sausage and Green Beans and plate. Top with fried egg and serve with buttered pancake.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!