Author Notes: This spin on a classic breakfast sandwich comes from Seattle's Mioposto. Using only the freshest ingredients highlights its elegant simplicity: runny yolk, crispy coppa, melty cheese, and crusty bread. Keep the yolk runny—the messier, the better! Or, if you want to sleep in, order the Coppa Caprese Egg Panini through Caviar. —Food52
Makes: one sandwich
ounces fresh mozzarella
ounces Roma tomato, sliced
ounces coppa, sliced
ounces basil, roughly torn
1 roll of Mio bread (5 oz); substitute any crusty Italian bread like Ciabatta
- Crack egg into a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat. Cook until white is firm and yolk thickens; flip egg and cook until firm while maintaining a loose yolk.
- Slice bread and layer with fresh mozzarella and tomatoes; lightly salt tomatoes. Cover tomatoes with torn basil. Add sliced coppa as desired; we recommend four slices.
- Place egg on top of layered ingredients; gently break the yolk and spread it around. Add salt to taste. Top with the other slice of bread and very gently press down to ensure yolk is slightly absorbed into the roll.
- Finish in the oven at 375 degrees for 1-3 minutes or until heated through.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!