If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In my former life (the one where I ate meat), I never ate real pulled pork. I wasn’t big on the meat overall so when I saw people using jackfruit to replicate pulled pork, it took me a while to jump on the bandwagon. A whole year in fact. I wondered how I could truly veganise it if I didn’t know what the original was like.
I managed to come across some tinned jackfruit in an Asian supermarket and thought I’d give it a go, especially since my local supermarket had started stocking vegan Worcestershire sauce. With a bottle of that and some jackfruit in tow, I was ready.
I came across this fantastic hand-crafted Mexican spice mix from New Zealand a few years ago and have been addicted to it ever since. I stockpile packets of it because nothing I’ve come across comes close, and I have not been able to replicate it from a DIY spice mix. It definitely helps give the flavour a lot more dimension. —Alannah | Kale Mary
For the pulled 'pork' jackfruit
- 1 can jackfruit, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce/ketchup
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Mexican spice blend
- 1/4 cup water
- Use a potato masher to mash jackfruit into a bowl then add rest of ingredients and mix to combine.
- Add ingredients to a saucepan over a medium heat. Cook for approx. 10 minutes until liquid reduces and jackfruit is soft.
For the beans
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons Mexican spice blend
- 6 Tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- White corn chips, to serve
- Avocado, to serve
- Lime, to serve
- Heat onions with some coconut oil over a medium heat. Turn heat to low and cook onions until they start to caramelise.
- Add the spice mix and tomatoes and stir to combine before adding the vegetable stock and beans.
- Cook until liquid reduces and tomatoes soften, about 20 minutes.
- To assemble, lay corn chips around the edges of a bowl. Add beans then pulled jackfruit. Top with avocado and a drizzle of lime juice.