Author Notes: While in Spain last summer for an art workshop, I tasted an amazing watermelon soup. When I came home, I created this one, based on my memory. —Rachel Basye
sweet onions, chopped
garlic cloves, chopped
cup each, basil, thyme and mint, chopped
tablespoons olive oil
cups homemade croutons (see below)
- Saute onions and garlic on low heat until clear. Do not brown. When done, take off heat and cool.
- Meanwhile, cut up watermelon, removing all rind.
- When onions have cooled, mix with watermelon and herbs in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add olive oil. Let rest at room temperature for several hours before serving.
- Croutons: Slice 4 1-inch thick pies of ciabatta or boule bread into chunks. Drizzle with a little olive oil and bake until crisp.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with croutons.