If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: An alternative sandwich that’s full of fibre due to the plantain and lentils. They are both great sources of fibre which, as we know, aids digestion. This sandwich is healthy for everyone, but pregnant women especially will benefit from the iron and high quantity of folate in the lentils, one cup (200g) provides 358 micrograms of folate and considering the daily requirement is 400 micrograms it doesn’t take a mathematician to know this adds up.
The recipe can be found here -
http://www.mynutricounter.com/lentil-sloppy-joes-in-plantain-buns/ —Nikki Brown
- 600 grams plantain, peeled
- 300 grams cooked lentils
- 50 grams onion, chopped
- 100 grams bell pepper, chopped
- 25 grams garlic, minced
- 250 milliliters tomato sauce
- 15 milliliters maple syrup
- 0.5 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 0.25 teaspoons black pepper
- 0.25 teaspoons salt
- 30 milliliters olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a pan.
- Sautee onions, bell pepper, and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, maple syrup, chilli powder, paprika, cumin, pepper, and salt. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cut plantain into 6 inch pieces and split in half crosswise. Flatten each half by pressing with the side of a knife.
- Pan-fry for about 2 minutes per side.
- Assemble the sandwiches.