If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Whether you say tomayto or tomahto, whether you consider the tomato a fruit or a vegetable, one thing is for sure, tomato dishes are an essential for men – several studies have supported the link between lycopene in tomatoes and the prevention of prostate cancer. Obviously all of us, young and old will benefit from these fruits which are bursting with essential goodness – Vitamin C, fibre, folic acid, potassium and choline all help support heart health as well as other conditions. Tomatoes are also a great source of the antioxidants beta-carotene and lutein, which along with lycopene are vital for eye health. Combined with Nori(a seaweed), a high nutrient provider, this delicate dish is simply a bundle of health.
The recipe can be found here -http://www.mynutricounter.com/tomato-sushi/ —Nikki Brown
For the Tomatoes
- 300 grams roma tomatoes
- 2 pieces sheets nori
- 375 milliliters water
- 15 milliliters soy sauce (gluten-free optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Sushi Rice & For Assembly
- 200 grams uncooked glutinous white rice
- 60 milliliters rice vinegar
- 15 milliliters maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 piece sheet nori
- Combine 2 sheets nori, water, soy sauce, and salt in a saucepan and simmer. Reduce to half its volume then strain through a fine sieve lined with cheesecloth. Leave to cool.
- Take each tomato and score an "X" on one end lightly with a pairing knife.
- Drop the tomatoes in boiling water for 30 seconds to a minute.
- Transfer the tomatoes in an ice bath.
- Peel, quarter, and deseed the tomatoes.
- Marinate the tomatoes in the nori reduction for 4 hours.
- Whisk together rice vinegar, maple syrup, and salt in a bowl.
- Rinse glutinous rice in cold water.
- Combine rice and water in a pot. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Pour vinegar and sugar mixture over rice and stir.
- With your hands, form rice into "sushi" portions.
- Top each portion of rice with tomato sushi and secure with a strip of nori.
More Great Recipes: