Author Notes: A healthy alternative on a Mexican tortilla that is traditionally filled with cheese hence the meaning ‘little cheesy thing’. Our take is this – ‘little avocado thing’ which is full of goodness, full of fibre to ensure gut health, full of healthy fats which ensure that the carotenoid antioxidants are well absorbed into the body, full of vitamins and minerals that have many benefits – folate for cell function, potassium for heart health, Vitamin C for immune function to name a few. Buen provecho.
The recipe can be found here -
For the Tortillas
grams brown rice flour
grams tapioca flour
milliliters hot water
milliliters coconut oil
For the Filling
grams ripe avocado, mashed
grams roma tomatoes, diced
grams red onion, thinly sliced
grams cilantro, chopped
teaspoon cumin powder
milliliters lime juice
- Combine all ingredients for the filling in a bowl. Toss thoroughly and refrigerate until ready for use.
- Whisk together cornmeal, brown rice flour, tapioca flour, and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir in hot water and coconut oil until dough comes together into a smooth ball.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
- Take each portion of dough and form it into a ball. Flatten with a rolling pin in between 2 sheets of parchment paper.
- Toast each tortilla in a lightly oiled non-stick pan over high heat for 1-2 minutes per side.
- Lay prepared tortilla on a plate and spread avocado mixture on top. Cover with another piece of tortilla.
- Grill the filled tortillas for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Transfer grilled quesadillas on a chopping board and cut into quarters.