If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: You can use any mix of seeds and dried herbs for the topping of these slightly cheesy rolls. I like an everything bagel blend for the crunch and flavor it adds; if you don't have a blend, eyeball a mix of poppy seeds, dried onion powder, garlic powder, sea salt, and sesame seeds. I like to use Vermont cheese powder, which you can buy at here, because the texture works really nicely to mix into bread doughs. You can substitute finely grated Parmesan cheese if you can't get the powder, or grated cheddar will work too.
Featured In: Addictive (and Cheesy!) Dinner Rolls That Seriously Up the Ante. —Posie Harwood
Makes one 9" round pan
- 2 cups (240 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast (or 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast)
- 3/4 cup 2 tablespoons (198 grams) lukewarm whole milk
- 1/4 cup (57 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup Vermont cheese powder (if unavailable, use grated parmesan or cheddar)
- 3 tablespoons (30 grams) potato flour
- 1/3 cup everything bagel topping (or a mix of seeds, dried herbs, and flaky salt of your choice)
- melted butter, for brushing the buns
- Add all of the ingredients except for the everything bagel topping (and melted butter for brushing) to a large bowl or a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Mix to incorporate and then knead until you have a soft, smooth dough.
- Lightly grease a large bowl and place the dough in it. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a damp tea towel and let rise in a warm place for about an hour, or until the dough is almost doubled in size.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Place the balls in a greased 9" round cake pan and cover the pan; set aside to let rise until puffy, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- When the rolls are finished their second rise, brush the tops lightly with melted butter and sprinkle the everything bagel topping liberally over the tops.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a light golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before turning them out onto a rack to finish cooling. Or eat them warm straight from the pan!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!