Author Notes: A super simple and fully customizable French toast recipe that would make even carb-ophobes come back for seconds and thirds! Brioche is my favorite bread to use here but any thick-cut, soft bread will do such as challah. —Lauren Diomampo
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 10 min
1" thick slices of stale brioche
egg, room temperature
cup whole milk or half and half, room temperature
Juice of half of a navel orange
teaspoon ground cinnamon
teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat a griddle or a large skillet over medium heat. Slice your bread if it's not pre-sliced and set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl whisk together your egg and sugar. Add the milk, orange juice, cinnamon, vanilla extract and salt and whisk to combine.
- Once the griddle is heated melt some salted butter over the entire surface. Take a slice of the brioche and dip it in the egg mixture about 10 seconds each side until well saturated. Shake off any excess egg mixture and add to the griddle. Quickly repeat with 3 more pieces.
- Cook each slice 3-4 minutes per side or until fully cooked through, golden brown and the sugars start to caramelize. Repeat with the remaining slices of bread. Serve immediately with your favorite breakfast toppings.
- Optional, serve with some freshly grated nutmeg, toasted pecans, sliced and griddled banana and sweetened condensed milk for a fun twist on the classic.