If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A sophisticated—and involved!—take on celery with peanut butter and raisins. There are multiple components with multiple steps, so plan accordingly. —Food52
Food52 Review: This recipe is by Shante Dorsett and was the 2015 winner of the Gramercy Tavern Annual Thanksgiving Pie Contest. —The Editors
Makes 1 pie
- PB COOKIE CRUST:
- 1 1/4 cups flour (155 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 ounces butter, cold and cubed (115 grams)
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 eggs
- 2 ounces white chocolate (50 grams)
- CELERY ROOT PUREE:
- 1 1/2 pounds celery root
- 1 1/2 quarts heavy cream
- CELERY ROOT MOUSSE:
- 1/2 cup sugar (125 grams)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups Cooked Celery Puree (450 grams)
- CRANBERRY COMPOTE:
- 4 cups fresh cranberries (200 grams)
- 1 cup dried cranberries (100 grams)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Zest of one orange
- 1 cup sugar (200 grams)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- WHITE CHOCOLATE CELERY ROOT MOUSSE:
- 2 gelatin sheets
- 2 cups reserved celery root cream from CELERY ROOT PUREE
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche
- 8 ounces CELERY ROOT PUREE
- 1 cup melted white chocolate (135 grams)
- 1/4 cup sugar (50 grams)
- Make the pie crust: Combine flour, baking soda, salt and sugars in a bowl of a stand mixer and mix with paddle. Add butter and mix until pea size pieces form. Add peanut butter, eggs, and vanilla extract and mix until dough forms, but don’t overmix. Chill for at least an hour or overnight.
- Roll out the dough into a circle the size of pie pan. Lay the dough in a pie plate and neatly trim the edges. Freeze the pie crust in the plate for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Place parchment paper and pie weight on top of the pie shell and bake for 25-30 minutes, removing the pie weight with 5 minutes to go so the crust is an even brown.
- Allow the crust to cool completely. Melt white chocolate over the double boiler and, with a pastry brush, apply thick layer of chocolate all over the cavity of the pie shell, then chill in the refrigerator to set. (This will create a seal, and prevent your pie from becoming soggy.)
- Make the puree: Peel and slice the celery root then add it to a large pot with the cream and bring to a boil. Turn down heat to simmer, and cook until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, cover and let it steep for 30mins. After 30 minutes, strain the cream, cool down and reserve. Put the celery root in food processor and blend into smooth puree and all to cool.
- Make the celery root mousse: Combine the sugar, salt, and heavy cream and whip to medium soft peaks. Gently fold cream into Celery Puree with spatula until light and fluffy. Spread mixture evenly in PB Cookie Crust and chill.
- Make the cranberry compote: Combine all of the ingredients in an appropriate pot and let sit for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes lightly crush cranberries with your hands or a masher, just to release some juices and moisten the sugar. Place the pot on the and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook, stirring often, for 30-45 minutes, or until it reduces by half into a thick compote. Remove cinnamon stick and vanilla bean and and allow to cool. Spread the compote evenly over Celery Root Mousse in the crust and chill.
- Make the white chocolate celery root mousse: Bloom gelatin sheets in ice cold water until soft. Remove and squeeze out all of the water. Reserve for later use. Whip the cream and crème fraîche until medium soft peaks form, and store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Warm the puree with the sugar in a small pot on the stove or in a bowl in the microwave until hot. Remove from the heat and add in the chocolate until it’s completely melted (this might take some more time on the stove or in the microwave.) Add the gelatin and mix until combined, then fold in the reserved whipped cream.
- Mound the mousse over the cranberry compote in the crust and chill until ready to serve.