If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A flaky, puffy crust is the ultimate foil for jammy blueberries and a nutty almond streusel. —Food52
Food52 Review: This recipe is by Volk Jensiriwanich and is a current submission in the 2017 Gramercy Tavern Annual Thanksgiving Pie Contest. —The Editors
Makes 1 pie
- PUFF PASTRY PIE DOUGH:
- 8.8 ounces All-purpose flour (250 grams)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1.8 ounces butter, softened (50 grams)
- 4 ounces cold water (110 grams)
- 5.3 ounces butter, cold and cubed (150 grams)
- BLUEBERRY MERLOT COMPOTE:
- 21 ounces frozen blueberries (600 grams)
- 5 ounces merlot (140 grams)
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 4 ounces sugar (110 grams)
- 1/2 ounce cornstarch (15 grams)
- ALMOND STREUSEL
- 4 ounces butter (100 grams)
- 4 ounces sugar (100 grams)
- 4 ounces All-purpose flour (100 grams)
- 4 ounces almond flour (100 grams)
- Make the puff pastry: Combine flour, salt, softened butter, and cold water in a bowl of stand mixer and mix with hook attachment until the dough just forms. Add the cubed cold butter and mix just until everything comes together, but there are still visible butter chunks. Chill dough for at least 1 hour, preferably overnight.
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle and fold like a letter: the top 1/3 folds down, while the bottom 1/3 folds up into one piece of dough in the middle. Chill the dough for 3 minutes and repeat step of rolling out and folding. Chill the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes. Repeat step 2 two more times
- Roll the dough out to fit your pie plate and lay in the plate to form the shell. Chill until ready to bake.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Bake the dough lined with parchment and baking beans for 15-20 minutes, or until light golden brown and baked half way. Set aside to cool completely.
- Make the compote: In a bowl, combine the blueberries and the merlot and allow to macerate for 20 minutes. Drain the wine and reserve. Combine the blueberries with lemon juice, lemon zest, and sugar in a pot and bring to a boil. Add the cornstarch to the reserved merlot and add to the blueberry mixture. Cook for 10- 15 minutes, stirring often, until the compote thickens and reduces by ¼. Allow to cool, then pour into par-baked pie crust.
- Make the streusel: Combine all ingredients until a dough forms. Crumble into small pieces and freeze for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Mound the streusel on top of the blueberry compote and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the crust and streusel is golden brown and the pie filling bubbling. When done remove from oven and cool down completely.