If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This cake was popular at a restaurant called, "Good Eats"... a place I frequented in Dallas, Texas as a teenager. Many years later I found this recipe published in the Dallas Morning News. I was thrilled! hope you enjoy it as much as I do. —KFS
Makes one three layer, nine inch cake
- 2 1/2 cups sifted flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 box strawberry gelatin (regular size) which I think means the larger size
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup pureed strawberries
- Cream Cheese Icing (recipe follows)
- Strawberry Glaze
- Whole Strawberries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease and flour three 9-inch cake pans.
- Sift flour with baking powder.
- Place butter, sugar and gelatin in bowl of electric mixer and adding cream until blended and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, then beat at medium speed until fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- At low speed, beat in flour mixture alternately with milk. Add vanilla and strawberries. Beat one minute at medium speed.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until cake springs back when pressed lightly in the center.
- Cool on wire racks. Remove cake from pan and frost with cream cheese icing. (See below)
- Smooth strawberry glaze over the top and garnish with whole berries. Strawberry Glaze: (Author stated you may buy already prepared or the version used from a recipe adapted from Joy of Cooking).
- Cream Cheese Icing: Combine 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, 8 ounces cream cheese, 1 pound (3 1/2 cups packed) powdered (confectioner's) sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Beat until creamy.