This cake was popular at a restaurant called, "Good Eats"... a place I frequented in Dallas, Texas as a teenager. Many years later I found this recipe published in the Dallas Morning News. I was thrilled! hope you enjoy it as much as I do. —KFS
- Makes one three layer, nine inch cake
2 1/2 cups
2 1/2 teaspoons
(2 sticks) butter, softened
box strawberry gelatin (regular size) which I think means the larger size
Cream Cheese Icing (recipe follows)
Whole Strawberries for garnish
In This Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease and flour three 9-inch cake pans.
- Sift flour with baking powder.
- Place butter, sugar and gelatin in bowl of electric mixer and adding cream until blended and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, then beat at medium speed until fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- At low speed, beat in flour mixture alternately with milk. Add vanilla and strawberries. Beat one minute at medium speed.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until cake springs back when pressed lightly in the center.
- Cool on wire racks. Remove cake from pan and frost with cream cheese icing. (See below)
- Smooth strawberry glaze over the top and garnish with whole berries. Strawberry Glaze: (Author stated you may buy already prepared or the version used from a recipe adapted from Joy of Cooking).
- Cream Cheese Icing: Combine 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, 8 ounces cream cheese, 1 pound (3 1/2 cups packed) powdered (confectioner's) sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Beat until creamy.