My boyfriend and I have been binge-watching “Stranger Things” with another couple while her daughter is at school on Tuesday mornings. By some crazy twist of fate, all 4 of us have the day off, so we’ve been watching it together. Since we watch in the morning, we need sustenance, and it needed to be a bit in theme, and I came up with this idea, since just eating Eggo waffles wasn’t enough for 4 adults.
For an ever ‘Stranger’ version, swirl some black or purple food coloring in to the eggs. —Deborah Connor
- Serves 6-8
Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sausage, Hot
Eggo waffles (1 standard box)
1 - 1/2 teaspoons
Large Idaho potato
Green onions, chopped
Shredded cheddar cheese
- Peel and thinly slice the potato, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Cut the sausage into 10 patties, flatten and spread until approximately the same size as the waffles. Remember they will shrink as they cook.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook sausage as directed on the package, over medium-high heat, browning on both sides. Remove from heat, setting aside to drain and cool slightly. Leave oil in pan to cook potatoes.
- Add the potatoes to the oil left from sausages. Cook on medium-low heat until tender, then raise heat to brown. When fully cooked, remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the Eggos on two cookie sheets, and bake for 10 minutes to warm and pre-toast.
- Place egg whites and 1/2 teaspoon salt in stand mixer or (use a hand mixer), and whip until firm peaks form (not quite stiff peaks). Separately, whip the egg yolks to the ribbon stage. Gently fold the yolks and the green onions into the egg whites.
- Assembly: Start with a waffle, sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Add a layer of potatoes and a sausage patty. Top with the whipped egg mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes until slightly browned.