If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One talent I wish I had developed when I was young and single is making homemade pizza. I am sure I would have been much more successful with the ladies, as evidenced by my wife describing this pizza as magnificent foreplay. Please remember, the quality of the pie is dependent on the quality of your ingredients...more so with this pizza than most. Based on a pizza I really enjoyed in Sicily. Although the ingredient quality can't be exactly duplicated, the use of just cheeses, good olive oil, and no white sauce were the keys to what I learned in "Mama's" kitchen in a rural restaurante. —MTDavids
tablespoons olive oil
teaspoons minced garlic
recipe "My Go To Pizza Dough" (see recipe)
slices Italian sausage (hot or sweet)
slices provolone cheese
ounces grated dry mozzarella cheese
cup grated Havarti or Fontina cheese
tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
cherry tomatoes, halved
thin slice red onion, broken into large pieces (see picture)
basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- Prepare dough per recipe. Cut in half and freeze half for later use. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- While dough is rising, place oil and garlic in a small bowl and microwave on high for 10 to 15 seconds until oil is warm. Set aside. Fry sausage to render some of the grease. Place sausage on a paper towel.
- Roll out dough with your hands and place on a peel if using a stone, or place in an oiled pizza pan.
- Spread oil on dough to lightly cover surface. Reserve remaining oil to serve on the side with the cooked pizza.
- Cover the pie in the following order; provolone, pepperoncini, Havarti, sausage, mozzarella, and parmesan.
- Bake until the cheeses are bubbling and slightly browned; about 8 to 10 minutes. Watch carefully since no two ovens bake the same.
- Remove from the oven and top with onion, tomato, and basil. Return to the oven for 2 to 3 minutes.
More Great Recipes: