This may be a purely Arkansas recipe, as I'd never experienced it until I moved here as an adult (we didn't have it in Tennessee, or at least my part of it). It sounds, well, weird. But it's a really wonderful breakfast treat for a weekend morning, and I have yet to find the kid who doesn't love it. —Kayb
- Serves 4-6
- Melt butter in bottom of a heavy saucepan. Add flour and stir over medium-high heat until it turns golden brown and starts to smell slightly nutty (a blond roux).
- Add mlk and vanilla and whisk until smooth. Lower heat medium.
- Mix cocoa into sugar, and pour into saucepan; stir until incorporated and smooth.
- Cook at a simmer, stirring occasionally, until it's about as thick as chocolate syrup, or as thick as you like it.
- Split open hot biscuits on a plate, top with plenty of gravy, and enjoy!