If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This may be a purely Arkansas recipe, as I'd never experienced it until I moved here as an adult (we didn't have it in Tennessee, or at least my part of it). It sounds, well, weird. But it's a really wonderful breakfast treat for a weekend morning, and I have yet to find the kid who doesn't love it. —Kayb
cup all-purpose flour
cups whole milk
teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt butter in bottom of a heavy saucepan. Add flour and stir over medium-high heat until it turns golden brown and starts to smell slightly nutty (a blond roux).
- Add mlk and vanilla and whisk until smooth. Lower heat medium.
- Mix cocoa into sugar, and pour into saucepan; stir until incorporated and smooth.
- Cook at a simmer, stirring occasionally, until it's about as thick as chocolate syrup, or as thick as you like it.
- Split open hot biscuits on a plate, top with plenty of gravy, and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gravy