If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe takes a family weeknight standby and gives it a twist by swapping out penne for tortellini. My husband quipped the name "tortelbeany" and it stuck; we hope you enjoy it! —EmMa
- 1 pound Tortellini, prepared according to package instructions
- 2-3 cans of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed (optional)
- 3-4 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Garlic
- dashes Oregano
- Red pepper flakes
- Onion powder
- Prepare the tortellini according to the directions on the package; while it's boiling, drain and rinse the beans.
- Dump the tortellini; in the same pot, heat the olive oil on medium and add the garlic, red pepper flakes, and pepper. Once the oil has infused with the red pepper flakes and the garlic is turning golden (1-2 minutes), add the drained beans. Stir to make sure the beans get fully coated and don't stick to the bottom of the pot. Add salt, pepper, and the rest of the seasonings, except the oregano.
- Add the tortellini while it's still hot, stirring to combine. Add more olive oil as needed and check the flavor (I usually go through another round of seasoning at this point).
- Continue to toss until thoroughly heated, and serve warm with plenty of fresh grated parmesan cheese!