If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is easily the best gingerbread cookie recipe that there is. This is because it rich, full of spice and very straightforward. All the ingredients are very basic and can easily be found in your kitchen cupboard. The sweet dough mix is spiced up with clove, nutmeg, cinnamon and of course ginger. You can go upmarket for even more flavour with cardamom and star anise. Finally completing the structure of the recipe is the combination of brown sugar, black treacle (molasses) and golden syrup.... —OT
Makes 30 cookies
- 270g All purpose flour
- 118g Butter
- 100g Brown sugar
- 85g Black treacle
- 1 Egg
- 1 Egg white
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground clove
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp Orange extract
- 1/2 tsp Chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- 2 pinches Black pepper
- In a stand mixer, add the butter, brown sugar and black treacle and cream for about 3 minutes. Scrape the sides to ensure they are thoroughly mixed together.
- Add the egg white and whole egg and mix until combine.
- Add vanilla and orange extract and mix
- In a separate bowl, add salt, chilli, cinnamon, ground clove, nutmeg, ginger, baking soda, black pepper and mix together
- Gradually add to the wet mixture to form a dough.
- Wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for 30 mins
- Once out of the fridge, knead a bit so it is soft and pliable. then roll to 1/4 inch. Aim to roll to form a square shape
- Cut the rolled square dough in half and put aside
- Cut the dough into vertical strips with the width at 1/4 inch. Repeat this step with the other half of the dough.
- Lay half of the vertical strips side by side.
- Fold every other vertical strip halfway back on to itself, then lay a strip horizontally making sure it touches the folded edge of the vertical strips. Then return the folded strips back to its original position.
- Repeat this step until the lattice is fully woven
- With a cookie cutter, cut out the cookies. The cutter will ensure the woven lattice however loose, forms a sealed edge
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 13-15.
- Cool completely and store in airtight container