If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These pancakes are savory, healthy, vegan and easy to make. Eat them for breakfast or make them a part of a light lunch by adding a green salad.
Featured In: Swap Any Grain With This Bean And/Or Turn It Into a Pancake —Annada Rathi
Makes: 5-6 pancakes
cup unhulled, whole mung beans
thai chile (optional)
teaspoons lime juice
teaspoon cumin powder
teaspoons vegetable oil
- Soak mung beans in 2.5 cups water overnight or for 8 hours.
- In the morning after draining water, pour soaked beans onto a plate and look through them. Some beans do not soften. Discard them.
- Add soaked beans to a blender. Follow with rest of the ingredients except oil and blend to a fine paste. Add little water to facilitate blending.
- Heat a non-stick pan. Pour 1/2 tsp of oil.
- Pour about a half cup of mung bean batter into the pan and swirl it around lightly to make a small pancake that's 2-3-inches in diameter. The thickness of the pancake should be between that of a crepe and a flour pancake.
- Once the edges become brown, flip and let cook on the other side.
- Serve hot. Fold the pancake into half and place a dollop of sour cream and salsa in the middle of the folded pancake. Or eat this pancake with cilantro chutney.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!