Sold all over India on hand carts, mung bean fritters are easy to make, crunchy bites. You never quite know how many you've had. —Annada Rathi
- Prep time 4 hours
- Cook time 30 minutes
- Serves 3-4
yellow, hulled, split mung bean
vegetable oil for frying
In This Recipe
- Soak yellow split mung beans in 3 cups water for 5-6 hours. Drain the water.
- Put the soaked beans in the blender followed by the rest of the ingredients, except the oil and cilantro. Blend the mixture coarse. Add a little bit of water to facilitate blending. Mix in cilantro.
- Heat oil in a wok. I am not used to measuring the oil temperature with a thermometer. The trick to check if the oil is ready to is to drop a small piece of the batter in the oil after it's been heating for 5 minutes at medium heat. If the piece of batter hits the bottom and rises up right away, it means the oil is ready.
- Take a teaspoonful of batter and pour it carefully into the oil. Fry till the fritters become golden brown, the color of donuts.
- Serve hot with cilantro chutney and/or dates and tamarind chutney.