Yellow Split Mung Bean pakoras
by: Annada Rathi
December 31, 2017
- Prep time 4 hours
- Cook time 30 minutes
- Serves 3-4
Sold all over India on hand carts, mung bean fritters are easy to make, crunchy bites. You never quite know how many you've had. —Annada Rathi
What You'll Need
yellow, hulled, split mung bean
vegetable oil for frying
- Soak yellow split mung beans in 3 cups water for 5-6 hours. Drain the water.
- Put the soaked beans in the blender followed by the rest of the ingredients, except the oil and cilantro. Blend the mixture coarse. Add a little bit of water to facilitate blending. Mix in cilantro.
- Heat oil in a wok. I am not used to measuring the oil temperature with a thermometer. The trick to check if the oil is ready to is to drop a small piece of the batter in the oil after it's been heating for 5 minutes at medium heat. If the piece of batter hits the bottom and rises up right away, it means the oil is ready.
- Take a teaspoonful of batter and pour it carefully into the oil. Fry till the fritters become golden brown, the color of donuts.
- Serve hot with cilantro chutney and/or dates and tamarind chutney.
Recipe by: Annada Rathi
To some people's frustration, I like to talk about food before cooking, while cooking, while eating and of course after eating.
See what other Food52ers are saying.