If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The thought of making fresh rice sheets for banh cuon chay put me off making the dish at home for years. Then I had a brainwave. I could layer a couple of sheets of dried rice paper to get the thickness I need, in less time and with far less stress. I reckon you should give this a shot. It’s nowhere near as laborious as you might think it is, and it tastes delicious. You’ll be eating it within the hour. —Alannah | Kale Mary
For the banh cuon chay
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3cm piece ginger, grated
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 50 grams wood ear mushrooms, finely sliced
- 65 grams organic, non-GMO tofu cubes, baked and diced
- 25 grams mung bean vermicelli noodles, cooked and finely chopped
- 27 rice paper rounds
For the dressing
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- Heat some neutral-flavoured coconut oil in a pan and sautee garlic. Add ginger, carrot, mushrooms and tofu, and cook until carrots start to soften. Add noodles and cook a further minute.
- Transfer to a heatproof bowl and lay a damp tea towel on the kitchen bench, with a shallow dish next to it filled with water to soften the rice paper rounds.
- Soften one rice paper round at a time and lay them on top of each other. Layer a maximum of three rounds per roll, and ensure you have removed as many air bubbles from each layer as possible.
- Spoon some filling just below the centre and roll them tightly, as you would if they were fresh rice paper rolls. Repeat until all rounds have been used and there is no more filling left.
- Place a couple at a time into a steamer. Put the lid on and steam for 3 minutes. Transfer to serving plates and repeat until all rolls have been steamed.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Adjust flavours to taste.
- Pour dressing over the rolls and enjoy.