If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I set about creating this butter chicken recipe like I do everything else in my life—somewhat obsessively. Many tries later, after many less-than-perfect renditions, I knew I’d nailed it when my husband tried this particular recipe and beamed, and I put it on my blog, where it was super popular. This was the one—and it sparked a book deal. It's also keto-friendly. This recipe, in order for optimal taste, does make too much sauce; save the rest to mix into other ingredients in your next meal (hence the name "Now and Later"). This method also allows you to cook rice in the Instant Pot at the same time.
This recipe relies on one important ingredient—the garam masala. Invest in a bottle, which can be found in a number of grocery chains, Indian shops, and online. You can also make your own.If your butter chicken is bland and flavorless, a lack of garam masala is to blame.
I’ve provided instructions on how to make butter chicken and rice at the same time in your Instant Pot. For vegan and vegetarian variations, see the full article (link below).
Featured In: All-in-One (Instant) Pot Butter Chicken—With a Few Vegetarian Riffs —URVASHI PITRE
- For the rice:
- 1 cup aged basmati rice, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ghee or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For the butter chicken:
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2-1 teaspoons cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons good-quality garam masala, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, left whole
- 4 ounces butter, cut into cubes (use coconut oil, if dairy free)
- 4 ounces heavy cream (use full-fat coconut milk, if dairy free)
- 1/4-1/2 cups chopped cilantro
- Combine all the ingredients for the rice, place in a 6 or 7-inch heat-safe pan, and set aside.
- Place tomatoes, ginger, garlic, chicken, turmeric, cayenne, paprika, salt, 1 teaspoon of the garam masala, and cumin into the inner liner of your Instant Pot. Mix the sauce a bit, then place the chicken. You are putting in everything except the butter, cream, cilantro, and 1 remaining teaspoon of garam masala. Mix well.
- Place a tall steamer rack/trivet on top of the chicken mixture, and place the uncovered bowl of uncooked rice on the rack.
- Press the Manual or Pressure cook button, set the timer to 10 mins, and cook.
- Once it is done cooking, allow the pot to cool for 10 minutes, undisturbed. Then, release all remaining pressure and open the pot. Remove and set the cooked rice aside. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Using an immersion blender, blend together the sauce until it is smooth. Let the sauce cool for 5 minutes. Stir in the cut-up butter, cream, cilantro, and garam masala.
- Remove half the sauce and freeze or refrigerate for later.
- Break up the chicken into bite-size pieces, add it to the sauce. Serve with rice.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!