If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This came about because my grandson wanted to cook something and he picked out vanilla pudding. It required 3 egg yolks, so while he was making pudding, I decided to bake something using the egg whites. I was going to make meringues, but he suggested angel food cupcakes--grandpa's favorite. It works out well for when you don't want too many temptations around, but you want a little bit of indulgence. dairy-free. —weshook
- 3 eggwhites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 5 tablespoons sugar (I like the fine baker's sugar, but regular will do)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 drop almond extract
- 1/4 cup flour (I just use unbleached all-purpose)
- 1 pinch salt
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- whip the eggwhites until foamy; then add the cream of tartar and continue whipping until soft peaks begin to form. sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar over the eggwhites and whip. repeat 3 times.
- fold in the vanilla and almond extracts.
- in a separate bowl, stir together remaining 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/4 cup flour and pinch of salt. one tablespoon at a time, fold this mixture into the eggwhite mixture.
- line a 6-muffin tin with cupcakes liners. spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling at least 2/3 full. I actually ended up with a smaller 7th cupcake. bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until the tops are nicely browned and they spring back when lightly touched.