Author Notes: This came about because my grandson wanted to cook something and he picked out vanilla pudding. It required 3 egg yolks, so while he was making pudding, I decided to bake something using the egg whites. I was going to make meringues, but he suggested angel food cupcakes--grandpa's favorite. It works out well for when you don't want too many temptations around, but you want a little bit of indulgence. dairy-free. —weshook
teaspoon cream of tartar
tablespoons sugar (I like the fine baker's sugar, but regular will do)
drop almond extract
cup flour (I just use unbleached all-purpose)
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- whip the eggwhites until foamy; then add the cream of tartar and continue whipping until soft peaks begin to form. sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar over the eggwhites and whip. repeat 3 times.
- fold in the vanilla and almond extracts.
- in a separate bowl, stir together remaining 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/4 cup flour and pinch of salt. one tablespoon at a time, fold this mixture into the eggwhite mixture.
- line a 6-muffin tin with cupcakes liners. spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling at least 2/3 full. I actually ended up with a smaller 7th cupcake. bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until the tops are nicely browned and they spring back when lightly touched.