If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There’s something about short ribs that just encompasses the true meaning of comfort food. This easy crockpot Short Rib Ragu is no exception.
I’ve cooked short ribs quite a few different ways. Yet, the short ribs always make the dish into a stick to your ribs, hearty dinner. It could be the way that the meat becomes melt in your mouth tender when slow cooked. Maybe it’s that the beef provides another dimension of flavor in any sauce you cook it in. Another reason might be that it tends to be best served over scrumptious starchy sides like polenta, potatoes and pasta. But whatever the reason may be I have found that short ribs are quickly becoming my crowd pleaser weekend meal for all occasions.
This recipe is as easy as they come. Yet, the layers of slow cooked ingredients come together as an overture of savory flavors. You can serve this at your next dinner party with confidence that your dinner guests will be impressed! All the while you’ll know it took you just a few short minutes of prep and a few hours of patient waiting. —Behind the Plates
- 2 pounds boneless beef shortribs
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 piece whole onion, diced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 12 ounces tomato paste (2 cans)
- 28 ounces peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 pieces garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 2 pieces Bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound pappardelle pasta (optional)
- Heat a large skillet over medium/high and add the tbsp of olive oil. Slice the short ribs into chunks (about 2 inches long). Brown for 3 minutes on each side. Add to the crockpot.
- Then add the peeled tomatoes, squeezing each by hand (or a potato masher) before placing in the pot.
- Finally add all other ingredients except for the pasta to the crockpot.
- Turn on low and cook for 8 hours (it should work on high for 4 as well).
- If you choose to serve with pasta, 20 minutes before serving, bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the pasta and cook 8 minutes or until al dente.
- Scoop the ragu over the pasta and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hands-Off Recipe