If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A wonderful spicy chicken and roasted veggie recipe cooked in a single pan in about an hour with little prep and minimal supervision once in the oven —Mick Brady
- 1 whole chicken which has been spatchcock'd
- 2 tablespoons harissa
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, ground coriander, paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 fresh orange
- 3 medium carrots diced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion quartered
- 1 fennel bulb quartered stems removed
- 12-15 black olives
- 3-4 small bunches of black grapes
- 6-8 whole garlic cloves
- 3-4 stems of fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and chopped to bite size chunks
- Spatchcock the chicken and pat dry and cover in kosher salt as a brine and place in the fridge for an hour
- Meanwhile in a large bowl mix the harissa and all spices plus salt and pepper into a paste
- Remove the chicken from the fridge rinse off the salt with cold water and pat dry
- Use half the harissa paste to rub all over the chicken skin
- Cut the ends from the orange and peel the zest from the orange using a potato peeler or sharp knife
- Squeeze the orange juice into the bowl with the remainder of the harissa and mix together
- Add the olive oil to the bowl with the harissa mix
- Add all the vegetables and orange zest, less the grapes to the bowl with the harissa, olive oil mix and toss to cover completely
- Pre-heat the oven to 450f
- Add the chicken to a baking pan and surround with the veggies
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 25 minutes
- Meanwhile add the grapes to a bowl with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and toss to cover
- After 25 mins remove the pan from the oven, stir the veggies around and add the grapes to the pan
- Return to the oven and cook for an additional 20-25 minutes until the chicken is cooked through, juices run clear and the inner thigh temperature is 165f
- Remove from the oven and rest the chicken for 5 minutes before cutting
- Serve chicken with a variety of the roasted vegetables and grapes.
- Note. You can pick any roasting veggies you like as the star of this dish is the spicy chicken....
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hands-Off Recipe