Author Notes: Smashed Beef & Bacon Casserole is a simple dish that can easily be thrown together quick. It is loaded with potatoes, beef,bacon, onions and cheese. A great weeknight dish that is sure to please! —Laurie Brooks
Serves: 6 - 8
pounds lean ground beef
cup bacon jam
cloves garlic, diced
salt and pepper to taste
packet instant gravy mix
large potatoes, cleaned and peeled
cup cheddar cheese
- In a skillet saute onions and garlic, then add ground beef. Cook until brown.
- Cook potatoes (washed and peeled) in boiling water until fork ready. Drain the potatoes leaving 1 cup of the water set aside.
- Add to the meat mixture : 2 tablespoons bacon jam, 1/2 - 1 cup of potato water and the gravy mix.
- Smash the potatoes with milk, butter, salt and pepper, 1 tablespoon cheese and the remainder of bacon jam. Mix all together.
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In a baking / casserole dish, put the meat mixture in first then add the potatoes.
- Top with the remaining shredded cheese. Bake at 350 F for about 20 minutes until cheese is nice and melted.