If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The special trick to this decadent and indulgent macaroni and cheese is baking it. No whisking a roux, no worrying about burning the milk… basically there’s no elbow grease required for this family-friend dinner! You just put everything into the baking dish, kick your feet up, grab a glass of wine, and let your oven do all the work. —My Stir Crazy Kitchen
- 1 16 oz box elbow pasta, cooked until almost al dente
- 8 ounces Cheddar, 1/2 cubed, 1/2 shredded
- 8 ounces Colby cheese, cubed
- 8 ounces Monterey pepper jack cheese, cubed (or Monterey jack for non-spicy)
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup finely grated onions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Toss the macaroni with the cheese cubes and pour into a 2 qt baking dish
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients except the shredded cheddar (flour, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, dry mustard, nutmeg, sour cream, egg, heavy cream, half-and-half and onions)
- Pour over the macaroni/cheese mixture and cover with the shredded cheddar
- Bake uncovered 30-35 minutes (until the cheese on top is just beginning to brown)