If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Calling all kids!! Big kids included …but really, calling all kids! Here’s a miniature version of that big ole’ corn dog that we all remember. And they’re gluten-free! In this version, I’ve used ingredients that are specifically free of wheat. If you are not personally concerned about gluten, feel free to use regular all-purpose flour and whatever beer you may have on hand. These gems are welcome any time of the year. —rosemary | a hint of rosemary
Makes 30 corn pups
- refined coconut oil, for frying (or any neutral oil)
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup gluten-free beer
- 1 large egg
- 1 12-ounce package cocktail franks (about 30)
- lollipop or cake pop sticks, for serving
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and optional cayenne pepper.
- In a 2-cup measuring cup, whisk together the milk, beer, and egg. Add that mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk to combine. Transfer the batter back to the measuring cup or to a coffee mug (it makes for easier dipping).
- Add enough oil to a small saucepan or Dutch oven to come 2" up the sides and heat to 350°F. Place a metal cooling rack on a rimmed baking sheet and place it on the stovetop.
- Working in batches (about 3-4 franks per batch), insert a skewer about 1⁄4" to 1⁄2" into one end of a frank and dip in the batter, twirling the skewer to coat the frank completely. Transfer to the oil, using a fork or second skewer to slide it off the skewer. Cook until golden brown on all sides, 1 to 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon or spider strainer, transfer to the prepared rack. Repeat with the remaining franks and batter.
- Insert a lollipop or cake pop stick into the end of each cooked frank. Serve immediately with mustard & ketchup or your favorite dipping sauce.